Tuesday, July 7, 2009

WFMW~Handy Dandy Cleaning Tips

My sister tells me that cleaning comes naturally to me, so I thought I would share some of the ways I keep the appearance of a clean house.

Whenever I get groceries, we eat all leftovers out of the fridge, I toss all stale, inedible, stuff out of the snack cupboard, and wipe down anything that sticks out like a sore thumb in either place.

I know my methods are strange, but I try not to waste my time or trips. I drink a ton of water and on my way to pee a million times a day, I am always looking for things that need to be put away or straightened on my way.

I also challenge myself to see what I can get done in small time periods. For example if I am heating up something that only takes 10 minutes in the kitchen, I will see if I can get the dishes all unloaded and loaded, or fold and put away all the clothes from the dryer, or make my bed, in that time. I also always clean while I am on the phone. I am always surprised how much I have accomplished when I hang up and it was perfectly painless.

When I pick up my hubby's socks off the floor in the living room I use them as a quick dust rag and wipe down the t.v. or mantle with them real quick. (learned this from Heloise)

On my children's daily chore charts, they each wipe down a bathroom (after they brush their teeth). This is good enough for daily, and once a week I go behind them and give those rooms a scrubbing.

We only keep dirty clothes in the laundry room. This way I don't have to track it down all over the house and I know that I have all the dirty towels, dress shirts, jeans, etc. for each load. It is also nice not to have hampers that could get musty smelling in our rooms.

When we had a vacuum cleaner with bags, I used to put a little of the scented carpet powder directly in the fresh bag when I changed it. This really put a nice smell when vacuuming without the mess or expense of putting it on the actual carpet.

I use a lint roller on furniture for pet hair. Actually, this is one of my son's jobs. He really enjoys it too.

So, if you came to my house, you may or may not think it was all that clean...I am definitely no drill sergeant cleaner. I do love a comfortable, clean house though!

For more handy ideas check out We Are THAT Family!!

Please leave me your best cleaning tips, I would love to hear them!

Heather Kay

13 comments:

  1. I can't believe you already have your Wednesday up! Good for you.

    I am passing the Happy Scrap Award on to you. Please stop by my blog for details.

    I have been swamped and am behind in my reading but hope to catch up on your posts next week after we are done with our camping adventure.

    Thank you for your sweet words and kind email...you are such an encouragement to me!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips. I like the idea of having on the kids' chore chart to wipe down the bathroom. I tend to wait until it really needs to be cleaned, then, somebody gripes that they have to clean up "someone else's" mess -- because it's *never* their mess. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your ideas and will start using some of them today! I'm always looking for easy, simple and quick ways to keep the house clean without breaking my back. I love the sock trick, phone clean up and having the kids wipe down the bathrooms. Mine are a little too young still but when I'm in there with them is usually when I do it. Especially when I have a 4 year old who doesn't have the best shot, if you know what I mean!! Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips. Each of our kids had a kitchen, living room and bathroom job that they were responsible for each week - or daily in the kitchen. It worked for us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're the ultimate multi-tasker, LOL!
    I also try to find things to do during 'down time.' It's amazing how much you can clear out of dishwasher while your coffee heats up in the microwave!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome post! I loved the little glimpse into your daily routines that keep your house clean. Especially the million trips to pee idea made me giggle a little because that is So You. :-)When the kids change clothes do they automatically bring the dirty ones to the laundry room or do they just bring them once a day?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Part of the kids chore chart is to get dressed, bring dirty clothes, and clean their rooms. They are not allowed to do any electronics until the charts are done, which typically gets them done first thing in the morning. T.V., computer, and the wii are great motivators! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I throw a fabric softener sheet onto the "air exchange" vent (the one that sucks the air into the heat pump), then circulate the air for a whole house freshner. you can still use the dryer sheet if you want. Works great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Anonymous,
    I just did this...thanks!!
    HK

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good tips. Thanks for sharing. When I had a DVR, I'd clean during the commerical breaks and workout during the show. Also, I motivate myself to iron by renting a good chick flick to watch only while I'm ironing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love cleaning tips! Every week I feel like I'm implementing a tip from someone in my house LOL

    Stop by my blog Garibay Soup to read about a huge giveaway to the launch of my new inspirational carnival coming Monday called Just to Motivate Your Monday!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We showed our boys (8 & 10) how to clean the car, and they do that when they want some spending money. My car is almost always clean now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, great tips! Except usually the socks I find, the kid's ones, are so disgusting, I barely want to pick them up.

    ReplyDelete