Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Honest Scrap Award

[honest-scrap_award.jpg]Kat at Art's Chili gave me this award. Thank you, Kat!! It sounds like a lot of fun to do and a great way to get to know our fellow bloggy friends. I really enjoy Kat's posts of family fun and the picture challenge she is involved in. She is a mother to 7 and manages to do it with grace and beauty. What's not to love?

Here are the rules:

1) Say thank you to the presenter of the award and link back to them

2) Share 10 honest things about yourself

3) Present this award to 7 other people whose blogs you find brilliant in content and/or design, or those who have encouraged you.

4) Tell those 7 people that they've been awarded HONEST SCRAP and inform them of these guidelines in receiving it.

Please take time to visit these ladies...you won't be sorry.

So without further ado, here are my 10 honest things.

1. My feet are large, size 11's, and they have ALWAYS gotten in my way. As a child, I was always stubbing my big toe on our cement steps that led from the basement to the kitchen. The kind of stub where the whole top of your toe is peeled back and bleeding. Then during puberty I started breaking my toes. The first time I was doing a cartwheel and landed on a wooden pew. My mom took me to the e.r. and they taped them up. We did the e.r. trip a couple times and then I just started taping them myself. Right now, I am missing the nail on my left pinky toe. A result of my stubbing it on a Wal-Mart shopping cart. I wear flip flops all summer and I am always hooking that pinky toe on those stinking shopping carts. Yes, you would think I would learn...

2. I am the opposite of Kat, she wanted no children and had 7, I always said I wanted 20 kids and have only 2. I am so grateful for the 2 gifts the Lord has blessed me with! If He allows, I would still like to pursue helping children in need.

3. Speaking of children, I started babysitting at 12, it was my only job all the way through highschool. I thought I had the trick of breathing through my mouth while changing stinky diapers down, and I would never have any problems with nausea...Then one day I was changing a toddlers diaper and there were whole pieces of corn in it. I left that baby where he was and ran to the bathroom where I LOST my lunch!!! I had many adventures with my babysitting!

4. My first kiss was my first boyfriend's brother. Enough said!

5. We lived in Michigan part of my teen years and in order to listen to the off limits radio station, I would sweetly offer to start the car, I would sit in the car listening to Heart, Chicago, Michael Jackson, Lionel Richie....while watching out the rearview window, as soon as I saw mom start down the driveway I would quickly put it on the christian station. I was never caught doing this.

6. When I was 18, I worked as a secretary for a carpet cleaning business. The owners were very sweet people, they were also very weird!

7. While at college, I was the only girl hired in the printing press.

8. Then in my 20's, I was one of only 3 ladies hired in a construction position for Wal-Mart. My first day on the job,the man training me had to show me what he was talking about when he asked me for a phillips screwdriver. I hung in there and won a Rookie of the Year award for that job.

9. That job took me all around the U.S., into Canada, and Mexico. It was a blast!!

10. While in Canada, I rented a snow mobile and while driving it away from the people I rented it from, I flipped it with my bro-in-law on the back. We stood it up and I took off before they changed their minds about letting me take it.

I am going to award WIDNEY WOMAN, Denise at Choosing Today, Gayle at Grace for Gayle, and Sarah at In the Midst of It.

I hope you will all do this. At first, I didn't think I could come up with 10 things, now that I have taken this trip down memory lane, I have come up with a bunch of fun memories that I will have to share sometime.

Happy Thursday!
Heather Kay

6 comments:

  1. Never caught until today! Why is your mother saying; "Chip off the old Block" right now. Does she mean that you are like her, I think so !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha! I'm glad the statue of limitations is over for many of my crimes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was great to be your sister and get dragged along for some of those crimes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too have large feet when I was 9 I wore size 9 then after both boys grew an inch! I told my husband no more children! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aha! O.K. YourSis, go to your room and wait for me, and no wearing extra you-know-whats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the so kind things you said. Your scraps are interesting and fun!

    My Brianna has large feet, too, and she thinks it is the worst plight. I am not sure why especially since she is tall and has the grace to carry them! She gets really severe ingrown toe nails all the time, too, so a lot of times her feet hurt her so bad... I will be glad to tell her your story of broken toes. I hope yours heals very soon!

    It seems, like you, I often found myself in the place where I was the only girl in a man's world. I think that's one of the reasons all my best friends were men. After being around men and watching them work hard and get along...nit picking, whining, gossipy women got on my nerves!

    How very exciting that you were able to travel so often and to so many places. I've never gone hardly anywhere in my life. This spring was the first time I have ever left the United States and I am 37 years old!

    Nor have I ever driven a snowmobile.

    It sounds like you have enjoyed some fun times...

    Now are your kids allowed to listen to the radio?

    ReplyDelete