Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Works For Me Wednesday- Carpet Stain Remover

Welcome! For this weeks WFMW my husband suggested I share my secret for carpet stain removal. This is a very frugal way to remove stains!

I learned this tip when my son had the stomach flu the very first night we spent in my new house. Of course he had eaten spaghetti for dinner that night! My friend stopped by the next day and saw the large red stain on the carpet. Ugh!! She shared this tip with me, and after trying it the carpet looked brand new again!

So, here is what you do. After blotting up the stain the best you can, while the carpet is still damp, or dampen it with water, pour salt thickly over the top. Cover this with a towel and leave it for 2-4 days until it completely dries. Then sweep up what you can with a broom and dustpan and follow up with the vacuum. This has pulled out so many stains from my carpet. Even a full cup of very hot, hot chocolate. (a stain nightmare)

Happy Stain Removal!

For more WFMW please stop by: We Are That Family

Heather Kay


10 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the great tip! I am definitely going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I will be using this tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tip. With a toddler in the house I'm sure I'll be able to try this before too long. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip, but just one question, how did you keep your son away from that spot for the 2 days it needed to set? My toddlers would be trying to "lick" that up!
    Abbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tip. I have two little ones so I'm always trying to get something out of the carpet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Abbie!
    My son was 6 at the time I learned this. I think one lick would probably cure your toddlers though. :) You do bring up a good point, I can imagine all kinds of devious toddler uses for the salt!
    Thanks for stopping by!
    Heather Kay

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if this would also work for cat barf *L* I think it's worth a try, thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete