Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Works For Me Wednesday, Feeding Hummingbirds

Seems how I mentioned my Hummingbird obsession yesterday. I thought I would post how I feed them today. I have the 4 cup feeders from Wal-Mart. These work for me because I have a lot of birds. If you are just starting I would use the 2 cup feeders because you want to keep the nectar from getting old. (fresh)

I make my own nectar, this is a big money saver. Here is how I do it. I have a 4 cup plastic measuring cup. The ratio is 1 part sugar to 4 parts water. So, I put 1 cup of sugar in the measuring cup and add water to the 4 cup line. I then stir it to dissolve. Then I put it in my microwave for 5 minutes. This forms the syrup/nectar. I pull it out of the microwave and leave it on the counter until it is room temperature. I add a couple drops of red food coloring, then fill the feeder and hang outside. So easy!! When you need to refill, be sure to rinse the feeder thoroughly. (I do not use any soap, just rinse well with water)

In my area (Midwest) they are usually here from May through late August. Every year I have more than the year before. They are such a pleasure!

For more Works For Me Wednesday tips check: http://www.wearethatfamily.com/

Blessings,
Heather Kay

4 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to get a feeder for the hummers. I didnt know you could make your own nectar.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Niki,
    Thanks for stopping by! Please let me know how it goes if you get a feeder up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have my hummingbird feeders up yet, I have a lot of regulars every year. I call my home "Hummingbird Acres". They are such unusual creatures, not really birds, but more like a beautiful, intelligent insect. If they run out of food they go to my kitchen window and stare at me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Theresa,
    I know exactly what you are talking about! I found out they were back early when I was out front working in the flower bed. I had a very persistent male who would keep dive bombing at my head and then he would fly up to the empty chain where his food should have been hanging. They are amazing!

    ReplyDelete