Monday, January 31, 2011

Happy New Year

On the 1st, while getting ready to go to my sister's house. I walked outside, and right in front of my house, stood a cow with a leg hanging out her back end. Since we moved here I have wanted to see a calf born. The field behind my house is where the dairy cows have their down time. These dairy cows provide milk for Kraft. From the time they are being bred until they calf, they are in our pasture. Most of them like to go off by themselves when they give birth, so I have seen many hours-old calves over the year, but never one being born. This mama stayed within 15 feet of the fence that separated us and gave birth to this cow. I was so excited! Truly, God has spoken to me most over the years through nature. On this day, I was reminded that He is the giver of life and new beginnings. May 2011 bring us closer to Him!


There is a picture below taken within minutes of the birth. If you click it to view large, or look too close, you will see some afterbirth. If you are squeamish, don't look!





1 comment:

  1. When I was a teenager I helped a sow give birth to a boatload of piglets which was a fantastic experience. I'm so pleased that you were able to witness this. I know that childbirth for ladies is a painful time because God told Eve that that's the way it was going to be because of the fall, but I don't think the same applies to the animal kingdom. I've watched as they give birth and if nothing goes wrong it doesn't seem to bother them at all. I once saw a moose give birth and she didn't cry out or anything, in fact she just nonchalantly turned around and licked the calf off when it was over. I'm am also so proud to know how much nature means to my children, I feel that I was successful in imparting that to you.

    ReplyDelete