Friday, October 1, 2010

Flashback Friday


I was telling J about this the other day, and thought it was worth putting up here. I hope some of you get a laugh on my behalf today.

Here's the background...I started babysitting at 12, I was a very sheltered, naive girl who had been in Christian Schools and church my whole life.

I was asked to babysit for my hairdresser's two children. They were around 5 & 7 at the time, how hard could it be? When this story unfolds, I had babysat them a few times. By now, I had figured out that they were a couple of Satan's minions. One day I asked them, "Why don't you EVER obey?". The boy looked at me and said, "What does obey mean?". Yep, that's what I was dealing with.

So this particular day, the parents come to pick me up, and on the way to the house they explain to me that they have worked really hard to clean the whole house. A set of their parents was coming in and they really wanted to impress them. They went on and on about the rules they wanted me to follow. Two that stand out is not to let the kids eat in the living room, and NOT to let the pair of St. Bernards out of the garage because the female was in heat.

Well they dropped me off, and the first couple of hours went pretty smoothly. The boy was excited to show me a movie his parents had recently bought. It was Rambo! Not only was there no way I was allowed to watch that movie, there was no way I wanted to either...I do not like blood & gore. But, they both had seen it before, and were totally into it so I let them watch it to try to keep the house clean.

I'm not sure what I was doing when the calamity started. However, this is how it went down. The girl let the St. Bernards out, and without me knowing it the boy had gotten himself a bowl of cereal. I took off running up the stairs after the dogs, it was easy to know where they were, I just followed the trail of blood from the female up the light carpeted steps. In all the commotion, I didn't notice the boys cereal on the floor. I stepped right in that bowl, and spilled it and soaked my sock. I chased the dogs back downstairs, pulled my sock off and threw it in the microwave and turned it on. We had never had a microwave, and I thought this would be a good way to dry my sock...wow, does a wet, stinky sock make quite a stench through the house! About this time, the boy comes out and tells me the toilet is overflowing.

Let's recap, there are blood drips all over the floors, two St. Bernards running wild, spilled cereal on the carpet upstairs, a toilet running over, my sock twirling in the microwave, two children going crazy, AND the guests walk in...SURPRISE!! We made it early!

They helped get the dogs in, and the toilet to stop overflowing. Took me home, and I was never called to babysit there again.

This is a true story!!

Hope you have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Only you Lucy...only you! LOL that story makes me laugh everytime! :D Heehee what a disaster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gotta kick outta that.. Something like that seems to only happen on the movies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why don't I remember this? Oh well....

    ReplyDelete