Thursday, August 5, 2010

A Mission Trip, VBS, Sinuses, Summer Camp, and a Broken Leg

I don't think I mentioned it here, but July was scheduled to be an action packed month. It did not disappoint. We started out with a Youth Group from Jacksonville, FL coming to stay at the church for a week. I believe there were 19 teens & 7 adults. We had a wonderful time with them! In the mornings they ran a day camp for the children in the area. In the afternoons we went canvassing in our area. We took groups of 3, door to door, down dirt roads, and up main highways and asked hundreds of people a few questions about what they looked for in a church and how they believed they would get to heaven. We saw 1 lady accept Christ during the canvassing, and have MANY prospects to follow up with for our church. At the end of day camp several children went forward to be saved and will be following up with J.D. Most exciting of all for those of us who know him, on the last night we had a Youth Rally and one of the JAX teens went forward and accepted Christ. It was a very moving night as many of us had prayed for him through the week! Also after the service one of our teens prayed to accept Christ. J.D. & I and several others from our church were with them from early morning until late at night each day. It was exhausting, but, I LOVE being exhausted while serving the Lord! I love to get in on the action, not sit on the sidelines and watch.

That group left on Saturday, on Sunday after morning church we finished the decorating for VBS and started our VBS that evening. What a week we had! I worked with the teens this year and we had a great turn out. We started the week with around 20 and quickly grew to over 30. That is a lot of teenagers running around our church! There were 5 teens that went forward to accept Christ. The first day we had 45 total in attendance, and it steadily grew and topped off at 94 on Wednesday. Family night was Friday and we had a great turnout of parents come to see their children sing. It was so good to have all of those new faces in the pews!

I started feeling sick on Friday, and by Saturday I knew I had the bug again. Saturday was J.D.'s birthday. We celebrated by having a quiet day at home, playing games, napping, and grilled steaks for dinner. Michael, Katie, & Sara Beth had already left for children's camp which started Saturday, but our family had plans to meet them on Sunday afternoon. We did go up that afternoon, I still was not feeling well so I just stayed a few hours and drove back home. That was one of the longest nights ever. I had not stayed alone in a house for a long time and for sure not out in the country where I heard every noise! Monday was uneventful, I went up to camp with the kids in the afternoon, they were having a great time and J.D., Michael, Katie, & Sara Beth were doing a great job of keeping them busy & teaching them more about Jesus. That evening they took them to the community pool and I left partly because I didn't feel well, and mostly because watching those little kids jumping off the high dive was worrying me sick! I don't like heights, and, I kept worrying about them bumping their heads on the diving board or something else.

Tuesday, I picked up around the house, then headed for camp. I was really debating going because by then I was really feeling lousy. I started taking some antibiotics and decided that if the rest of them could tough it out I could too! Within an hour of getting there, I was coming out of a closet, stepped on an air mattress, lost my footing, caught my right foot on the doorway, twisted my leg and heard a snap. I immediately started hollering for J.D., it took a little while for them to find him and I was in shear panic mode by the time they did. I had my first ambulance ride to the e.r. where the xray's showed I have a spiral fracture in the lower section of my right leg. I don't want to be a whiny butt, however, this is the most pain I have ever been in. One day of it would have been comparable to having my children but we are in day 3 now and I definitely would have preferred child birth to this! Plus I would have something sweet & cuddly to hold right now. :)
I'm going to wrap this up for today. I am going to see an orthopedic surgeon tomorrow, and if I am up to it I will post the results, and some lessons I am learning tomorrow afternoon.

I would appreciate your prayers!

Blessings,

5 comments:

  1. It was an awesome July at Emmanuel and I praise God for all the wonderful people who allowed God to use them for many hours out of the day every day for more than two weeks solid, for His work! He was glorified! I praise Him as well for sending you, Brother J.D. and your beautiful family to us here at Emmanuel! I am so sorry about your accident and I am praying for your appointment tomorrow, rapid healing and for the pain to ease for you. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm really glad for all the awesome experiences you've been having at church this summer! That is such a pitiful picture. It makes me want to cry, poor, poor Hayee!
    Lesson number 1 stay away from air mattresses and closet doorways. :) Sorry you are in such pain. I will continue to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Doodie-Loos,
    I am just really upset that this happened to you, and so far away from me. Get your cast on and get down here and as Forrest would say; "I'll take care of you...".
    Bopps

    ReplyDelete
  4. HK,

    It does sound like your summer has been action packed! I enjoyed visiting tonight and getting caught up with your happenings. Life has been a roller coaster for me this summer and I have not been to anyone's blog as communication has not been the easiest thing for me these days. Spending some time with your sure did brighten my night.

    It sounds like you had an amazing time serving the Lord during your time with the Florida teens. Praise the Lord for the work He is doing in your ministry. I am so blessed to see where He has brought your family. I am with you... I would rather be in there with my sleeves up and worn out than sitting on the sidelines.

    We had an amazing VBS this summer with 89 kids in attendance for the week. Our church membership is around 95 so that is almost one soul per church member... it was a blessing... which I still need to blog about. ☺

    I am so sorry to hear about your sickness and definitely the broken leg. I can't imagine there is any fun in that... except maybe lots of time to blog??? I have been and will continue to pray for your comfort and quick healing. We look forward to hearing how your surgery went today. And as we both know the Lord will use this for something good. In the meantime, praise Him for pain meds ☺

    Way past my bedtime... Allen leaves at the crack of dawn... actually, before the crack of dawn, so we don't want to keep him up too late.

    Glad to see you around my friend. Please don't be a stranger.

    Hugs,

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry to hear about your broken leg!! Maybe someone can buy you a stuffed animal so you have something cute and cuddly to hold...

    ReplyDelete