Monday, January 18, 2010

The Gift of a Cow

I feel like this post is going to be all over the place, so get ready...

I have to say that since November 1st, our first official Sunday, I have been busy. I can not tell you how much I have enjoyed it! It is so good to be back in the center of God's will doing what He called us to do. It feels like after a long time in the desert, we are swimming in a refreshing pool.

This morning I had a sweet gift from God.

To understand this, you have to have a little background on me. I LOVE animals, all animals, I always have. God speaks to me often through nature. Also, I have always wanted to live on a farm. I grew up thinking that I would definitely marry someone with land, and animals...especially horses.... Then I fell in love with the biggest city boy you have ever met, and he doesn't even care for most animals. Go figure! Then being a pastor's wife, I felt destined to never have my dream. Parsonages are usually in town next to the church. Even owning our home, J would not be interested in keeping up land.

Well, to my surprise, my parsonage sits on a little hill overlooking a dairy farm full of cows. The best kind of farm because the animals aren't even raised for slaughter!! (not that I'm against that, it just makes it easier for me to name them) :)

So, now I am going to tell you a little about my week. We have a dear deacon in our church, he is a founding member of the church, and he has become most peoples father figure or Papa, depending on your age. He and his wife are those people who draw others to them in an instant bond. He has been in the hospital this last week, on a roller coaster ride of tests and cancer diagnosis, with a heart attack thrown in just for fun. They have reversed the cancer diagnosis, praise the Lord. It has been a busy week of hospital visits.

On Wednesday, I had a call that a dear friend had passed away. He was 92 and lived the sort of life we would all be proud of. He was a war service hero, a good husband and father, served the Lord faithfully, and had a great sense of humor. His wife died a year and a half ago, they had been married for 62 years when she passed. I know that he is home with his Savior and his love and I am happy for him.

Also on Wednesday, I had the privilege of sharing my testimony and just answering some questions for a dear lady in our church. It was a joy to be used by God in this way. She was saved that afternoon. There were many people in the church who shared with her and had been praying for her. She stood before the church yesterday and with tears of joy shared her salvation. What a wonderful Savior we have!

This morning I awoke to my dog barking. I got up to let the little one out and check to see what was going on. I looked out the back door and within feet of the fence was a brand new calf and her mama. She was just learning how to use her legs, stumbling around. Her mama was licking her and she was sniffing around her mama. I just went out and sat on the back deck and watched the miracle before my eyes. Nursing was one of the best things about being a new mother to me, and watching that baby learn to suckle was so sweet. It is a beautiful morning here, after having freezing temperatures with ice and snow, then fog and clouds for a few days, it is gloriously sunny and even warm enough for me to sit out there in just my nightgown. I just had a special time of thanking my Lord. He has given me so many gifts in the last two years. I know that they are abundant blessings for obedience, and I am grateful!

Today, I will go to the funeral of my dear friend, then we will head to the hospital where our new dear friend will go through an extensive surgery. It will be a long day, but I will carry with me how personal God is in my life. When we are aware of His presence, walking closely with Him, there is nothing better.

Blessings,

5 comments:

  1. Heather, I love you and your family so much. It is so awesome to be blessed with such an awesome Paster, which I tell everyone about, and his awesome family. Sometimes I have to just close my eyes and let God reafirm, yes, he has brought us together, and I say "Thank you Father". I love reading your blogs and you are such an inspiration to me. I look forward to and pray for a growing relationship. THANK YOU!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy,
    Thank you! We love you too!
    We look forward to serving Him with you for many years!
    HK

    ReplyDelete
  3. HK,

    Wow, I have so much to say to you on this post... I am not sure where to start and hope I do not forget anything.

    I am sorry for your friend that died but I am rejoicing with you that another saint stands at our Lord's side today. Hallelujah! What a God we serve. And how precious that he has given you a new friend to fill the void left in your heart. I wonder if the friend who passed is the one you have told us about before? The one who came to dinner once in a while? Also, I just praise God for giving you the desires of your heart in your own little flock. How blessed to witness the new life in your little calf. I can see your face as you name each cow and especially your new friend.

    Happy Tuesday, Heather Kay!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I'm a city girl at heart, but I have to tell you, the image in my mind of you sitting on your deck in your nightgown, drinking in the beautiful morning and enjoying the site of those cows seems so perfect. What a gift to be given on an otherwise difficult day. I love it!! God is soooo good!!

    ReplyDelete