Friday, December 11, 2009

Luke 2 (Another Christmas Flashback)

As long as I can remember Luke 2 has been a part of my Christmas morning. Growing up my dad always read it. The lights were low and the Christmas tree was sparkling. The presents were now ALL under the tree...even the ones I didn't know. As a child it was so hard to focus on what dad was reading between peeking at the presents and my stocking. You could feel our excitement. If my parents had given us a choice to just dig right into those presents and skip the Bible reading, I wonder what I would have chose?

Looking back, I remember far more special times reading the Christmas Story together, than I do special presents. Many times my dad or mom or both would get choked up. Now as adults we are all sappy when we happen to all be together. Our children are sneaking peeks at their presents/stockings and we can feel their excitement...will they look back with fond memories of our Christmas tradition? I hope they will carry it on for many generations.

Luke 2:1-20
And it came to pass in those days that a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be registered. This census first took place while Quirinius was governing Syria. So all went to be registered, everyone to his own city. Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judea, to the city of David, which is called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and lineage of David, to be registered with Mary , his bethrothed wife, who was with child. So it was, that while they were there, the days were completed for her to be delivered. And she brought forth her firstborn Son, and wrapped Him in swaddling cloths, and laid Him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn. Now there were in the same country shepherds living out in the fields, keeping watch over their flock by night. And behold, an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were greatly afraid. Then the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people. For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior who is Christ the Lord. And this will be the sign to you: You will find the Babe wrapped in swaddling cloths, lying in a manger." And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying: "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace goodwill toward men!" So it was, when the angels had gone away from them into heaven, that the shepherds said to one another, "Let us now go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has come to pass, which the Lord has made known to us." And they came with haste and found Mary and Joseph, and the Babe lying in a manger. Now when they had seen Him, they made widely known the saying which was told them concerning this Child. And all those who heard it marveled at those things which were told them by the shepherds. But Mary kept all these things and pondered them in her heart. Then the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, as it was told them.

"I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people!"

If you are reading today, and you do not know Jesus,and the great joy of being part of His family, and you would like to, please send me an email. I will be happy to share what He has done for me and what He would love to do for you.

Blessings,

4 comments:

  1. My fondest memory too. The best traditon we ever had by far.

    I still giggle when I think of the year Mary was exposed instead of espoused. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell your church family that we had a blast at the party. I heard a lot of warnings about how ruthless it would be. I hate to ruin any hard-nosed reputations but I think I saw more selfless acts than selfish ones. Iris and I chatted excitedly all the way home. Thank them for a fun time for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite tellings of the Christmas story. We usually read it on Christmas Eve after the children get to dig through their stockings.

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete