Saturday, November 7, 2009

A Little Something Sweet

I know I promised to write about Monday & Tuesday today BUT I decided to wait and ask the ladies who will be in the post if they mind if I use their names. So, I will wait for those posts on Monday & Tuesday. (ladies feel free to say no)

I have been wanting a stand mixer for several years now. They are very expensive, so I didn't really expect to get one anytime soon. J has been saving his bonus points to buy new living room furniture. Now, with the new job, he will no longer get bonus points, making the furniture out of reach. He used his points to order me a stand mixer for my birthday!!! All the ladies say, "Awww, he's so sweet!" You would be right!!! (he also ordered a much needed vacuum cleaner)

Karlee & I have been wanting to try making homemade marshmallows. This requires a stand mixer and I had promised her if I ever had one, we would make them with it first. Turns out Eli spent the night with Leah Thursday, and it gave us the perfect day yesterday to make our marshmallows. We decided on Peppermint with some dipped in chocolate. Here are the pictures & details.

We used this recipe~the only change we made was using only 1 tsp. vanilla at the time it said and adding 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract & green food coloring w/ about 3 minutes left in the beating time.

Ready to go~notice my apron a bday gift from my sister (she made it)
The Mixer~ Do you hear the chorus of angels singing?
KK measuring the sugar


The syrup & gelatin get started.
Adding Vanilla
Starting to look like marshmallows~see the green swirl?
Mmmmmm!
After they set overnight in the tin foil lined pan, we dumped them onto a powdered sugar covered cookie sheet.
Sifting powdered sugar on top, they would be impossible to cut without all of the powdered sugar
Notice the gloves...I can not stand to touch anything powdery, esp. flour! This was a good idea, it also kept them from sticking to us.

Dipping in chocolate!
The finished product.
This was J's request! I said I would make it Saturday but that just wouldn't do.


Would you like to come over for some hot chocolate with homemade marshmallows and a side of chocolate pie?


7 comments:

  1. Umm...YEAH!!! Count me in! :-) You two look cute in your aprons. That is a nice looking mixer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to use my name i would be honored. Thanks Gayla or The Big G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Baby! Those marshmallow are The Bomb in this hot chocolate! Thanks for bringing me some. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I'm still busting with pride over my two beautiful girls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my! They look so good! Good job! I would never be so brave as to attempt making marshmellows! You and Karlee look so cute in the top picture!

    ReplyDelete