Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Bus Kids

I love bus kids. You know, the kids who are running around the church willy nilly, they don't always flush, they rarely say thank you at potluck, they don't know how to sit still in church, sometimes they are dirty and stinky, rarely do they know the right answers in Sunday School.

My dad started my love for bus kids when I was just a young girl. He captained a route in Jackson, Michigan. I was/am a daddy's girl and just wanted to be with him at first. Often, if I went with him on Saturdays to call on his kids he would buy me a burger or my favorite orange sherbet. What started out as quality time with my dad, would become a passion for these often love starved kids.

A few years ago at FBC we had a tragedy with a couple of our bus kids. Two of our bus kids, a brother and sister were killed in a house fire. It rocked the core of our church. Many who had previously taken the bus kids for granted, or maybe even resented them for their messes and wear and tear on the church, learned to look at them through new eyes.

My mom was a bus kid. Neither of my parents come from christian homes and without a bus ministry who knows if they would have found the Lord. It is because of the faithfulness of those men to go out and bring those children to church, and the openness of the church to allow those sometimes undesirable children to come, that ultimately has led to many, many people coming to know the Lord as their personal Savior. (including me, my siblings, my grandparents, etc.)

The next time you are sitting in church and that row of noisy bus kids is annoying you, or you are dishing out potluck and you don't want them to have all of the food, or the toilet is in need of a plumber AGAIN, the walls need paint AGAIN, the nursery toys are broken AGAIN. Remember, Jesus said, "Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven." We will never know the impact we will have on those little bus kids or the Kingdom.

Thanks to my dad for the inspiration for this post. Thanks to all of the bus drivers & captains out there. What you are doing is one of the greatest, least recognized ministries out there.

Love your bus kids!

Blessings,



3 comments:

  1. Goosebumps! Do you have to make me blubber like a baby first thing in the morning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post H.K. I remember when we were first born again and looking for a church. I thought my daughter was very well behaved... when I look back I still think she was... she sat next to me for the two hour service flipping through her Bible. Never spoke. Never squirmed. Just sat that looking at pages with no pictures. A long time church member, and mother of eight, actually pulled me aside to tell me how disruptive my daughter's page turning was to others sitting around us. So as a long time church member now, I certainly try to practice tolerance to visiting children. My daughters try to help those children to sit sweet and quietly during the preaching so the parents can pay attention to the sermon. Sometimes as church members we get too hung up on how we think things should be and forget that the important thing is to reach souls. Thanks for the reminder, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just think those two bus kids suffered fire for a moment in this life, but because of the Only Savior Jesus Christ working through the bus ministry to bring little ones to himself they are not suffering fire now. Nor will they ever have to.

    ReplyDelete