Thursday, August 27, 2009

Family Night - It's a Blackout

Here in NW Arkansas, we typically have at least one ice storm each year. A few years ago we had a dandy. The power was out for days at best, and some lost power for well over a week. We live in town and our power lines are buried so we usually fair the best. We were out of power for 3 days with that particular storm. My kiddo's thought it was great! We have a gas fireplace and that kept us warm. We had the bedrooms shut off and we all slept on our mattresses in the living room. We played games and I read books by candlelight. Eli especially has been looking forward to the next ice storm.

We decided to have a blackout night just for fun on Tuesday. J's day off is Wednesday so he could help me move the mattresses back in the morning. This was really fun! We turned off everything except the air conditioner and refrigerator. I put candles in the bathroom, kitchen, and living room. We played a board game and then told ghost stories. It was a night full of laughter!

Eli playing Superman

Mattresses out and ready to go
The candles- I have used that large one on the left for about 4 years now with every power outage. It has 4 wicks and lets off great light! I recommend having something like this in the closet for emergencies.

We celebrated the return of power with homemade pancakes for breakfast. It was a fun, free family night. I hope you will try it sometime.

Blessings,






4 comments:

  1. That sounds great! Glad you guys had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea, I think I'll ask Granny if we can do it downstairs tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colorado is so great. I did both hikes this past June! So much fun! H

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea. My kids love when the power goes off, which is does quite frequently around here. I never thought of planning it. That would be way more convenient. I am going to have to schedule one for a surprise when we get back.

    ReplyDelete