Friday, June 26, 2009

Recipe Swap...Cherry Chocolate Cake

I am joining Gayle at The Grocery Cart Challenge in her Friday recipe swap. This cake is so good! It is fairly cheap and not to bad for you. The cake is kept in the fridge so it is a nice cool treat in the HOT days of summer. It comes from the Taste of Home's, Light & Tasty 2005 cookbook. The only change I make is topping it with light cool whip instead of powdered sugar.

Cherry Chocolate Cake
1 package (18 1/4 oz) chocolate cake mix
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. almond extract
2 cans (20 oz) cherry pie filling
1 small tub light cool whip or powdered sugar

In a mixing bowl, combine the dry cake mix, eggs and almond extract. Stir in one can of pie filling until blended. Transfer to a 13X9 baking pan coated with nonstick spray. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.

If serving right away top whole cake with 2nd can of cherry pie filling and cool whip or powdered sugar. Or just do individual servings of toppings.

This cake is very moist and delicious. If you go with reduced-sugar cherry pie filling and the powdered sugar, one serving is 187 calories, 6 g fat, 1 g fiber.

Enjoy!
Heather Kay

4 comments:

  1. Ilove this cake and its good cooked in the crock pot too! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to "meet" you too Heather! Thanks for visiting my blog too. I make this cake by mixing all the ingredients (not cool whip) together and placing it in my crockpot. I first put in a crockpot liner (esay clean up) then I spray it with a little Pam. I cook it about 6-7 hours on low and it is so most and delicious! When you use the liner its easy to pull the cake out and serve with the extra topping can cool whip! I have got to leave now because I need to go to the store and get a few items, like cake mix and pie filling! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chocolate & cherries are one my favs! I just made choc/cherry cupcakes today for a friend! Yum!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so simple and delicious. Might be just what I am looking for to serve on Fourth of July.

    Just for the record, I didn't actually let the kids collect nickles...I just joked about it.:) one of these days I will write about the nickle jar and you will see why!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete