Monday, April 20, 2009

The Weekend Recap, Minister to Others

I didn't mention last week that I had company coming in for the weekend. I have always been drawn to people who could use a friend. In high school, in Florida, my best friend was a boy who wanted to be Iceman from Top Gun. To the others he was just a strange guy to make fun of. I discovered a really loyal, fun, and quirky friend in him.

My dad has always had a heart for the underdog whether human or animal and I have inherited his heart for them. Back to my story...years ago at FBC we were in need of a pianist, this man came and he was a genius on the piano. He looked like he was about 35 but really I think he was in his late 50's. I sat in the first 3 rows on the left side with my youth group and he naturally sat on the front row.(when not at the piano) He wore the exact same outfit to church each week. He was very clean and his clothes were very neat and pressed. There was just something so sad about him.

Up to this point I had not wanted to invite people into my home as a pastor's wife. I was afraid I would burn the food or not have everything clean enough or they would laugh at the way I decorate. (which is pathetic) I have never had new furniture or "nice things". I just didn't feel like I could be a good hostess. Well this man started something for me. I invited him to come for lunch one Sunday between church. He was so touched and shared his story with us. He had gone through a terrible divorce, that was not his choice or fault, and he was truly devasted at the loss of his family. He came over often after that. He then moved away and occasionally he comes to stay for the weekend.

I clean, clean, clean when he comes. He has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. He would never make me feel embarrassed by my home, but I do it for him. Yes, I do it for me also. I love having a clean house and this is one of the only times I actually dig deep enough to clean behind the toliet, vacuum under the cushions, etc.

I have learned over and over that I need to look past the outside of a person and get to know their heart. Our friend is not one that would be popular. You may even avoid him if you saw him coming every week in the same white shirt, blue pants and white shoes. This man is a treasure from the Lord. He is one of the most generous people I have known, he has a heart that truly loves his Lord, and his friends. He has been faithful to pray for us and stand by our side through all that life has brought.

It takes guts to get out of our boxes and approach that person sitting by themselves in the pew week after week. However, I have learned that there are rich treasures to be found! I hope you will find a rich treasure of a friendship yourself.

I Peter 4:9-10
"Be hospitable to one another without grumbling. As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God."

Blessings,
Heather Kay




3 comments:

  1. I, too, can testify that some of my dearest friends have been the people that others never considered worthy to call friend. These have been the faitful and loving ones who have been by my side through many dark and countless bright times in my life. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We truly had a great weekend and he is a huge blessing and a wonderful friend. Love you babe!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always loved the benefit I have of being your sister and getting to know people that I would be too shy to talk to and don't have the knack for drawing them out like you do.

    ReplyDelete