Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Easy Menu

Along with our friends OCD comes the tendency to be late. Sometimes it is only 30 minutes late, sometimes it is hours. He rarely gets a home cooked meal and really enjoys it, so, I enjoy cooking for him. I plan the menu around not having a specific time he will be there. This was my menu for last Friday. Easy and Delicious!

Brisket from Sam's, the already cooked and sliced one. I put some water in it and our favorite BBQ sauce on top and cover it with tin foil and it can cook as long as you want. Sometimes I will do a pork or beef roast the same way.

Sweet N' Sour Beans
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 c. cider vinegar
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. ground mustard
2 large onions large diced
28 oz. baked beans
16 oz. kidney beans
151/4 oz. lima beans
151/4 oz. great northern beans
bacon bits (I use the packaged one in the salad dressing aisle because I rarely fry bacon)

In a large nonstick skillet, combine the brown sugar, cider vinegar, garlic powder and mustard; bring to a boil. Stir in onion. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until onions are tender. Add the drained, rinsed beans and bacon.
Pour into a 2-qt. baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until heated through.

I have learned that this dish is better the longer it is in the oven. Also I usually have the temp on the oven more like 325. If I need to speed things up I just turn it up. This is my favorite bean recipe! It comes from the Light & Tasty Annual Recipes 2005 cookbook.

Sweet or Baked Potato's- easy to keep warm and nice on the side.

To this menu I add some kind of rice dish, mainly for my son who does not eat beans. I also serve a salad or coleslaw and homemade bread. I have a great recipe that makes the dough in the bread machine and then you let it rise for 45 minutes and bake in the oven. If you would like the recipe leave me a comment and I'll post it tomorrow.

Our friend always brings the best ingredients for his hot fudge sundae's for dessert. This time I cut up strawberries with a little sugar to add to it. Wonderful!!

Have a Great Tuesday!

I am excited because I am going to buy mulch, flowers, tomato's, green beans, etc. to get my gardens started tomorrow...can't wait!

Blessings,
Heather Kay








3 comments:

  1. Is the beef cooked at 325 also?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, because it is already cooked and just being reheated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious. You seem like such a great hostess to be so flexible. I can't wait to try your bean recipe. My hubby loves baked beans. Eventhough he has his absolute favorite (My mom's 4th of July crockpot recipe) he still enjoys trying out new recpes.

    ReplyDelete