Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Salesman

I am now caught up to one year ago. J worked as a car salesman all year last year. We both really learned a lot about the business. I am very skeptical by nature and have always thought the salesmen were making "thousands" of dollars off me when I bought a car.

I'm going to back up and say that J sat down w/ his new boss G before agreeing to work there. He asked how they did business and told G that he would never lie to a customer. We talked about J being like the Shadrack, Meshack, and Abednego of the car business. I know that there are many christian sales people I just have not come across many of them in my time.

God in His wisdom put J in a job where he had to rely on Him for every dollar. It was not something J could control. It was also humbling to go from pastor to car salesman. This job was so good for bringing our family together. Although we had never made a lot of money as a pastor's family, (yeah right) it was always a steady income. We could budget and stay within our means.

The kids and I would have our devotion and get on our knees and pray that God would send daddy customers who needed cars. I would be open with them about specific dollar amounts we were asking God to provide and we prayed specifically for that also. God, as He always does, would show up in His timing. I remember weeks where it would be looking so bleak. Then J would sell three cars while it was snowing outside. Now who gets the glory for that?!

We made it through last year, we never went without, and our bills were paid. We also wrote out our tithe check first, before paying the bills, every paycheck. When we rec'd our tax statement our income was almost 40% less than it had been the year before.

J has worked very hard to train for a management position at the dealership over the past year. He was promoted last month to business manager. Praise the Lord! Our son walked into an Upward Basketball meeting and a friend of ours said, "I hear your dad got a promotion." and our son said, "Yeah, now we can pay the bills!".

We are praying for God's will for our family. If He wants J to stay in this position then that is what he'll do. However, it is both of our heart to serve Him in ministry again. Some say that J disqualified himself from ministry, others say that God's grace is big enough. I am willing to go and do whatever God leads.

Matthew 6:33-34
But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

Blessings,
Heather Kay


1 comment:

  1. Heather, I just finished reading every single post under "our story". Wow is all I can say. All the God-incidences throughout it. The different moves, the different opporunities, the different houses, just everything. J's carsalesman job at the very last moment. God is written all over you and your story. I love how God whooed you and kept calling you, doing everything to wear you down to the point on calling on Him.

    I come to your blog via a comment on one of my best buds blogs. My bud's blog being pramom26@blogspot.com And the person who left the comment on her blog is: artschilipepper.blogspot.com

    I am a woman standing in faith that God would restore my marriage. It's been 2.5 years since beloved left. 2 years since the legal system stamped us divorced. No infidelity on either part. We have no children together, which I see has a negative b/c there's not that bond to connect us. I know of SOO many testimonies of marriage brought back to life even post divorce and with infidelity. This is awesome but also a point of pain b/c my marriage hasn't been restored yet there was no infidelity. Emotional abuse on my part...verbal disrespect and nasty things said, a temper on my part. We are both Christians and were also at the time. We both are to blame b/c neither of us knew how to fulfill our role: me as submission wife respecting her husband in word and action and he as being the spiritual leader of the house. It is so painful. Yet, I must tarey on and believe in my Lord's power. I see absolutely NO evidence at all that beloved will turn course. He refuses to communicate with me. I've not seen him since May 2008 and that was a very bitter encounter where his pain came out as venom and I walked away giving all control to God. I've taken the control back over the last 1.5 years but I've also relinquished it. Much like forgiveness. I forgive and when hurtful memories pop up, I have to intentfully forgive. When I take control, I have to stop and intentfully give it back to God.

    Feel free to visit my blog. Though I only share very brief statements that lead to my desire for restoration. But no where on my blog to I identify anything about my marriage or the break down. I only share that through email of those who desire to know more.

    Sweet blessings,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete