Monday, March 30, 2009

Prayer

Our Sunday School teacher is a wonderful servant of God. He is in his 80's and has served the Lord with his life. He is a retired pastor and is still sharp as a tack!!

His lesson yesterday was on prayer. Specifically, it was on the sin that can hinder our prayers. It was exactly what I needed to hear. I thought I'd share some of the notes I took.

Sins that can hinder our prayer life:

1. Omission- not doing something we know we should be for the Lord. I need to reach out to my neighborhood.
2. Commission- doing something we know is against God's commands.
3. Disposition- our attitudes matter to God. Mine has needed an adjustment this weekend!

"If I am filled with the Spirit I will be joyful, thankful, and have a submissive attitude." CP (my teacher) This hit home.

4. Harboring any sin- when we hang on to anything the Holy Spirit has convicted us about.

I have had many of these over the years. I recently gave up a blog that I loved to read. It was a christian lady, which is what I usually read, however, she likes to be on the edge with her Christianity. It just got to the point that the Holy Spirit was pricking at my heart. I was dealing with a temptation, something I know is not right for me, as a result of reading her talking about it so often. So I deleted her blog off my bookmarks. I have wanted to go back and just see what she's up to. This is such a little example of how Satan can be so crafty.

5. Unbelief- the lack of faith that He will answer.

6. Disunity in our home

7. Pride

8. Unforgiveness

9. Selfishness

Okay, everyday I could go over this list and it be may be a different thing that I would need to repent of. Yesterday, it was harboring a sin. I have had a stronghold in my life for a long time now. I get convicted of it and try to let it go, but then, I grab back on to it again. What I realized yesterday is that I really didn't think God was big enough to help me quit for good. This sounds so stupid when I trust Him for the big things in my life. (Provider, Protector, Restorer) So I am going to trust Him for this. I need deliverance to be everything He wants me to be.

II Corinthians 10:3-5
For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are NOT CARNAL but MIGHT IN GOD for pulling down strongholds. Casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing EVERY thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ.

Blessings,
Heather Kay

4 comments:

  1. Heather Kay ~
    I am so gald you found my blog. You know I have struggled with numerous:) strongholds and I just love the verse from 2 Corinthians. I looked up the word stronghold one time and thought it was interesting that part of the definition defines it as something we hold on tightly to. I didn't realize how tightly I was holding on to many things. I always wanted to blame something or someone else. Anyway I enjoyed your post. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather Kay-

    3 times I have typed you VERY long response and each time it has been erased! I am not sure why Satan is trying to stop me but I am sure he is. I wanted you to know that your blog was an answer to my prayer. My girl friend emailed me last Thursday to say that her husband, and my brother in the Lord, has had an affair. Two years ago, my whole family was completely shaken when we found out that my father had been having an affair for 8 years. The details are many and sordid. Bottom line is my parents came out on time with a better marriage and God got all the glory. So, back to present day...I prayed for several days about how to share this with my friend in order to encourage her to go back home to her husband and let God heal their marriage. Saturday night, I was checking my email when I was led to your blog. I am so grateful God answers prayers! Thank you for making your self vulnerable to be used of God. Please pray for our friends that they will have victory over this evil! CP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Chili!
    Thank you for sharing this with me. Tears came to my eyes and my heart for your friend. I will absolutely be in prayer for them. God is Bigger!!
    Heather Kay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather Kay--

    I'm not quite sure how I ended up here but was so touched by your willingness to share and let God use you.

    I pray that as you continue forward in your journey God would strengthen you and reward your obedience. As I read about how you stopped reading a blog, I am reminded obedience sometimes requires sacrifice. May God fully deliver you and free you so that you can visit with your friend showing the love of Christ blamelessly. Once we are free what was once a temptation ceases to be one. It is so miraculous to experience this. I pray this miracle for you.

    ReplyDelete